Do you know these facts about teenagers and prescription medications?
- One in five teenagers has abused prescription medication
- 12 to 17 year olds abuse prescription drugs more than they abuse
ecstasy, crack/cocaine, heroin, and methamphetamine combined.
- 60% of teens who have abused prescription painkillers did so before
- Everyday 2,500 teenagers use a prescription drug to get high for the
- These kids are getting drugs from the comfort of home. For them, its
as easy as opening a drawer, a cupboard or a medicine cabinet
Here is what you can do
- Take an inventory of all the prescription drugs in your home.
- Then, drop of your expired, unwanted or unused prescription
medications for safe disposal.
Its fast easy and anonymous
Just drive up and drop off. Its that simple. Law
enforcement officials will receive and destroy these medications.
For the safety of our volunteers, please keep medications
in their original containers.
All containers will be recycled.
Why not just flush old meds
Many pharmaceuticals are getting past our waste water
treatment plants and getting into our drinking water.
An Associated Press investigation last year found the trace
amounts of many prescription drugs-including antibiotics, tranquilizers,
mood stabilizers and hormones are in the drinking water of 41 million